Sunday, December 11, 2005

the magic of maitencillo

Had an incredible trip to a special little place called Maitencillo this weekend. The Presidential elections were today so everything in Chile comes to a halt. No alcohol is sold from 9PM the night before, most stores and shops close, the endless stream of political propaganda is suspended on TV, and all of the campaign signs that have literally covered the streets and all public places for the last 3 months must be taken down for a 24 hour period leading up to election day (clear minds, clear decisions the thought goes). I figured since I can’t vote I would still take advantage of the opportunity for a clear mind.

I found this great little ocean village when I was on a scouting trip with some other guides from Santiago Adventures last weekend. We drove up in the truck, got out at the town “center” which was basically 8 or 9 little huts set up as make-shift seafood stands of salmon, mussels, clams, abalone, calamari, shrimp, lobster and scallops. Salsa music was playing from a portable radio, the sun was shining, pelicans were swooping for scraps from the brightly colored fishing boats, and the weathered fishermen were wrapping up their nets having just dropped the daily catch at the stands. Major “Buena Onda” –my favorite Chilean expression – “Good Vibe”. I’ve been thinking about how I could get back ever since we drove away so I rounded up some girlfriends and we headed westbound this weekend… getting there and back to Santiago was quite the adventure (isn’t it always!?) but worth every confused second we spent on micros, collectivos, speeding taxis, and buses.

We spent the night at this place that had so much personality… there was an Indiana Jones climb to reach our little treehouse cabaña following crisscrossing dirt paths and stone steps through an enchanted forest of morning glories, nasturtiums, bamboo and eucalyptus. The cabaña itself was beautiful and cozy with candles, sea glass, hanging mobiles, and furniture made from seashells and driftwood.

After basking in the warm sand and drinking hot chocolate on the beach we shared a couple bottles of white wine and made a wonderful dinner of fresh salmon and mussels right out of the Pacific, homemade bread, and salad with nasturtiums we picked from our deck. I think we all felt a little bit like troupe of mini-Pablo Nerudas. I fell asleep with the sound of the ocean coming through the small port window I had left open, feeling very lucky and muy contenta.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 13, 2005, Blogger Marinka_ilmondo said...

Kelly,

What a beautiful pictures!
I am happy to see your wonderful days over there.

London is nice and I really enjoy my days in London. But I miss CHILE!!!

 
At Wednesday, December 21, 2005, Blogger Emily Wroe said...

hi kelly!

just wanted you to know that i'm still reading--your pictures are amazing and your blog is a wonderful distraction from studying. i'm so happy you are having such a great experience so far. miss you!
love
em

 

Post a Comment

<< Home