Saturday, June 03, 2006

Chau Chile

I'm writing the last entry of this blog from the kitchen table in my dad's house... Having safely landed back in california a couple days ago, I'm still reeling from my trip down south, and the last 8 months. I'll spare you from the headtrip and just say the 2 weeks i spent in Patagonia were the most incredible 14 consecutive days of my life. Punto. It was the most fitting and marvelous way to close out my time there.

I arrived south with a vague idea of plans and ended up going from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales, Chile and then did the famous W in Torres del Paine solo in 4 days which was perhaps the most physically and mentally challenging thing i've ever done. I didnt see a single person for three days which was, in itself, a pretty wild sensation, especially in such a magical place. The park was just gorgeous, making its transition into winter with snow in the higher elevations, the moon out almost all day, and the sun starting its descent at 3 in the afternoon. My water was freezing in my tent every night and the one time i set my camera down on a rock away from my body heat the battery immediately died. hmmm. A bit chilly there. But heartbreakingly beautiful.

colors on rio grey, torres del paine

tree. patagonia elements style.

the cuernos, the torres, and paine grande tower over lago pehoe.

water spout on lago sarmiento. the wind was blowing so hard it would create perfect little tornados on the water surface. wild.

After my hardest day (9.5 hours of hiking in a day with only 8 hours of light) i arrived into Campamento Chileno at the base of Las Torres, the namesake of the park, surprised to see there was another tent set up. As i'm patching my wind ravaged rain fly, a young guy comes bounding up to me. Surprise of all surprises the one person i see in the winter at the end of the world happens to not only be from california but grew up in my hometown!!, went to college in maine while i was in new hampshire, and guided climbing trips in jackson the last couple of summers. We became instant adventure buddies and the next morning scrambled in the dark up to the Torres to watch first light set them on fire.

just over the ridge!

brrr! amanecer las torres del paine

After a day of rest back in Puerto Natales, I convinced Marcus (my new best friend) to continue the journey and we jumped on a bus to Ushuaia Argentina (check that puppy on the map!). We ferried across the Straights of Magellen, explored islands on the Beagle Channel, tramped through the snow in Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego, made friends with some incredible Argentines, and just shook our heads at the magical places we found ourselves in.

Seno Ultima Esperanza, Last Hope Sound. You can see the mountains rise right up out of the sea!

Ushuaia, Marcus, and the Beagle Channel

Happy in a snowy Tierra del Fuego

I was back in Santiago in time to run back to my house and try to pack up my vida chilena, say some tearful goodbyes over a couple glasses of farewell chilean wine, get 3 hours of sleep, and make it to the airport again to head to the states.

What a whirlwind it's been... all of it.
Too much even for words.
Thanks for sharing it with me.

un abrazo fuerte
and much love,
kelita.

sunrise on the move. tierra del fuego, argentina

4 Comments:

At Monday, June 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing your adventures!

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger HelenO said...

Hey Kelly--
This is Helen, one of the Nor Cal girls from Escuela Bellavista in October. I just stumbled upon your blog because I was cleaning up my papers and found Mariko's blog, who linked to you. Anyway, I just want to say that I enjoyed reading about your Chilean adventures--both similar to and different from mine in many ways. Also, congrats on your fantastic new job. I too found a job quickly upon my return to SF, and I'm now settling back into "normal" US life. What a trip!

 
At Friday, June 30, 2006, Blogger Marinka_ilmondo said...

Kelly,

how is everything going?
where are you now?

all photos are really amazing!

good luck!

mariko

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey was just rolling thru wanted to let ya know ya got a cool blog here Nice Job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home